banner
Phone - 631-588-6050

HISTORY 1970 - 1999

St. Johns Evangelical Lutheran Church
1675 Coates Avenue
Holbrook, NY 11741

 

 

1970 - 1999

On December 6, 1970 our new church was Dedicated. The church reflects the doctrinal attitudes and basic beliefs of the Lutherans of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Holbrook in order that the worship Liturgy would be expressive of this Faith. The new church is a traditional church building. Three aisles, timber roof, arches arrange themselves in solemn procession along each side to a chancel or sanctuary of adequate size, containing a free standing altar, baptismal font, pulpit and lectern.

April 28, 1974 we celebrated our 70th Anniversary. At the Anniversary Vesper Service the sermon was delived by the Rev. Egbert J. Dunker, who was the pastor to St. John's Lutheran Church in Sayville and was our Circuit Counseller. The order of worship was led by Rev. William K. Roser, pastor of St. John's Lutheran Church, Holbrook. The organist and choir director was Mrs. Margaret Hayward of St. John's, Holbrook.

On April 17, 1975 the Town of Islip deemed our White Church a Land Mark and worthy of notice, respect and the preservation due it for its role in the history of the town.

In November 1975 Pastor George S. Altvator became our second full-time resident pastor, after serving as our interim pastor after the departure of Pastor Roser in January.

Altvater

In 1976 the Vacation Bible School was reintroduced. During August over one hundred children attended the ten day sessions under the guidance of more than twenty instructors. It was a tremendous success.

1979 we celebrated our 75th Anniversary as a congregation. The Lord has bestowed many of his blessings upon us and helped us to grow. In 1904, several Christian families gathered together to form a new congregation which was to become known as St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church of Holbrook - Missouri Synod. A Dinner-Dance at the Bavarian Inn in Lake Ronkonkoma on April 20th was enjoyed by many. The honored guests were Pastor Altvater and his wife Miriam, and Pastor Meyer of Emanual Lutheran Church in Patchogue and his wife Marie. Fred Kuehl, President of the Council proposed a toast. Mr. Paul Steidel gave a short summary on St. John's and Pastor Altvater presented certain members with a token of appreciation.

December 6, 1980 there was a Service of Thanksgiving and Praise for the Tenth Anniversary of our New Church. At that time the new Trinity Memorial Window was explained in an insert in the bulliten. The newly crafted stained glass window installed in the west wall of the Church is dedicated to the Holy Trinity, The Triune God, defined as One God susisting in three separate Persons. The stained glass window is composed of many symbolic characteristics of the Trinity.

.Holy Trinity....Loft

doners

At the top in vivid colors, we see the creating hands of God the Father, holding the earth, moon and stars. Below the hands is the dove, representing God the Holy Spirit. The Son of God, Jesus Christ, is represented in two figures. The first is kneeling, bearing the burden and shame of our sin, and over is an empty cross with a red cloth over the crossbar. The second figure is the victorious Son returning to his former glory.

Pastor Altvater retired in 1989.

July 23,1989 we installed Pastor William W. Bloom, Jr. Rev. Bloom was born in Harvey, Illinois in 1939. He graduated from Concordia Senior College in Fort Wane Indiana in 1961 and from Concordia Seminary in St. Louis, Missouri in 1965. Married Patsy Ruth Alexander in 1964.Their marriage was blessed with three children.

Pastor Bloom

Pastor Blooms Installation was officiated by The Reverand Ronald F. Fink, President Atlantic District, Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. Other participants were The Reverend Herbert M. Kern, Pastor Emeritus Calvary Lutheran Church, East Meadow, and Counselor for Circuit 12. The Reverend Robert Ernst, Pastor Grace Lutheran Church, Mastic Beach and Counselor for Circuit 12. The Reverend George S. Altvater, Pastor Emeritus St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. Mr. John Grosch, President St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church. Pastor Bruce Nathan, who had served the congregation during the vacancy, also served as Assistant Pastor from 1990 to 1995.

 

If anyone has old pictures or history on the old church please send them to me stogdale@verizon.net

HOME